Not until recently, Canada was not the favorite destination for immigrants, but with her world-class educational system, economic boom, and decisive policies by the Canadian Government to attract foreigners, both international students and workers are increasingly moving to Canada, either as permanent residents or temporary foreign workers.
There has been a massive movement of people in various continents of the world to Canada, Canada is the ideal destination for international students seeking world-class education, and for workers seeking better opportunities.
If your desire is to relocate to Canada as a temporary foreign worker, this article will enlighten you on what to do, how to go about it and necessary requirements needed to move to Canada as a temporary foreign worker.
What is the Temporary Foreign Worker Program?
The temporary Foreign Worker Program is a temporary Canadian work visa issued to a foreigner by the Canadian Government, which allows the qualified applicant to work in Canada for only six months with the possibility of extension.
It was created by the Canadian Government to meet the labor need of Canada, to give opportunities to foreign workers whose desire is to work in Canada and to attract highly skilled foreign workers to Canada.
During the six months validity of the temporary Canadian work visa, the foreign worker is not allowed to work for more than one employer, the foreign worker is expected to obey the Canadian law and live close to the place he or she works.
Before the expiration of the temporary Canadian Work Visa, the worker can apply for an extension if he or she so desired. At the expiration of the Temporary Canadian work visa, the foreign worker is required to leave Canada.
Requirements for Temporary Foreign Worker Program
The basic requirements are quite much, this is done to protect jobs for Canadian citizens, hence before a foreigner is granted a temporary worker visa, there must be adequate proof that the skilled by the foreigner is needed in Canada. The following are the requirement;
- Labor Market Impact Assessment Document (LMIA)
- Proof of employment
- Proof of clean Criminal Record
- Proof that you are not a National threat to the security of Canada
- Medical Record
- Bank or Financial proof that you are financial capable to bankroll your stay in Canada
- You must prove that you will return back to your country after the expiration of your temporary work visa
- Proof of legitimate employment such as escort service, erotic massage etc.
What is Labor Market Impact Assessment Document (LMIA)?
The Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document issued by the Canadian Government to Employers of labor, it certifies that an employer has sought to employ a citizen or permanent resident for a job opening or position, but could not find anyone suitable or qualified for the position or that the citizens are unwilling to take the job or position, hence the employer requires the service of foreign workers.
Within few months of application by employers of labor, the document is issued.
How to apply for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program?
The following procedure must be followed when applying for TFW Program.
- Employment letter or offer letter.
Applicant are expected to have gotten a job in Canada before applying. If you desire to work in Canada as a temporary foreign worker, the first step is to secure employment in any Canadian firm and get a document to prove this in your application
- Get a valid LMIA Document
After getting securing or getting a job, your employer is expected to apply for Labor Market Impact Assessment document from the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC).
ESDC is empowered to either grant or refuse the LMIA to the employer, after assessing the impact of employing a foreign worker to the Canadian labor market, if the skill is needed, an LMIA document will be issued to the employer, is not needed application will be rejected.
- Application for work visa and permit
after getting your LMIA, the next step is to apply for a visa and work permit via the Canadian Consular. Included in your application are the following;
- IMM 1295 – THIS APPLICATION FOR WORK PERMIT MADE OUTSIDE Canada
- IMM 5409 – Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union (if applicable)
- IMM 5475 – Authority to release Personal information (if applicable)
- Schedule 1 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa
- A valid passport with an expiration of more six month after arriving Canada
- Police Record Certificate
- Copy of Marriage certificate if married
- Copy of Children’s birth Certificate
- Educational certificate
- If your country of residence is different from country of citizenship, you will need proof of current immigration status
- Two photo per requirement
- Valid offer letter
- Certificate d’acceptation du Quebec (CAQ) IF YOU WILL BE WORKING IN Quebec
- Medical Record from a licensed doctor. Without undergoing the medical exam, you will be limiting yourself in terms of employment. People without Medical result are not allowed to work as child care, teaching of both Primary and secondary schools, also in the agricultural sector.
Cost of applying for Temporary Foreign Worker Program
The initial application fee for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program is $15 CAD. This is the processing fee for the application by the consular. It is paid for every application. it is also paid when applying for a TFLW extension.
10 Top Foreign Workers Jobs in-demand in Canada
The following jobs are highly demanded jobs or occupations in Canada, it ideal one is armed with the requisite skills and knowledge of highly demanded jobs in Canada before applying for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program.
It is worthy to note that the demand for some jobs in Canada is dependent on the province or territory. Regardless of the province or territory, the following Jobs are in High demand in all provinces of Canada.
- Sales Associate
- Registered Nurse
- Commercial driver
- Web developer
- Business Development Manager
- Project Manager
- Heavy Duty Mechanic
- Electrical Engineer
- Telecom Engineer
It is important to note that with the TFLW program, the maximum number of years one can work in Canada is four years if the extension is granted. The initial duration is six months, but the foreign worker can apply for an extension while in Canada before the expiration of the six months duration.
The duration of the extension granted depends on the Canadian Government. Temporary Foreign Worker Program rules allow applicants to take their wife, close family, and minor children along.
During application, the applicant is required to submit their documents alongside his or her. While they are allowed to go with the applicant, they are not automatically issued a work permit, Canadian Government decides if a work permit will be issued to the applicant’s family or spouse.