Are There Things I Need To Translate Before Moving To Canada And Why?

Are you one of the people getting ready to apply to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)? You might be confused about what language your documents have to be in. 

It is already a fact that English and French are Canada’s two official languages, therefore, the  Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) requires that for immigration applications, all supporting documents should be submitted either in English or French. 

 Furthermore, irrespective of the reason for your application, whether it is for permanent residence through Express Entry, a work permit through International Experience Canada (IEC), or any other type of immigration application, this policy is applicable.

Nevertheless, in certain circumstances,  the  Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) may permit you to add documents in a language that is not English or French without a translation, but in cases like this,  the  Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will state it clearly in your application. Now, if the IRCC does not state such in your application, it means that you must present translations for any documents that are not in either English or French.

We will explain every detail you ought to know concerning the translations of documents needed for your Canadian immigration application in this article. Endeavor to read to understand completely, or you can skip searching for answers to the questions you have if you have any in mind.

Are there documents I need to attach alongside the translation?

The answer is yes, and when it comes to which documents you need to include with your immigration application, the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC)  is very strict about it.

Failure to include a document or even including the wrong one will lead to the rejection of your application because it will be considered incomplete. As a result of this, you must understand your document requirements. 

As far as translations are concerned, if your supporting documents are not in either English or French, you must add translations for those documents, unless Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) states that you should not. 

For your document to be considered complete, documents that require translations must bear the following:

  1. It must include the English or French translation obtained from a certified translator
  2. It must include an affidavit obtained from the person who completed the translations; and
  3. Finally, an approved photocopy of the original document.

For your application to be considered complete, you must meet all three of these requirements, nevertheless, let us break down what exactly each of these documents are.

Who/What is considered a certified translator for Canadian immigration applications? 

The English or French translation of your document by a certified translator into either English or French is referred to as the official translation. Please take note of the emphasis on a certified translator

Moreover, the process of certification in a country may be different from the one in another country.  For those applying from within Canada, make sure that your translator is in a good relationship with their provincial or territorial organization, but if you are one of those applying from outside Canada, find out from your translator if they are qualified to provide certified translations because a qualified translator is defined as one who has undergone some kind of formal training in translation.

For Canadian immigration applications, what is an affidavit for translations?

A document signed by the translator in the presence of an authorized person attesting to the truth of the translations is known to be an affidavit from the person who completed the translations. 

Each country has its own rule regarding who has the authority to issue an affidavit and such individuals could be notaries public, commissioners of oaths, commissioners of taking affidavits, and so on.

Furthermore, translators that are certified should know the rules that oversee affidavits and should have the ability to swear affidavits easily and quickly. Most times, translators usually possess a stamp with their certification and this permits them to easily communicate their credentials to the immigration authorities. 

How do you define a certified photocopy for translations for Canadian immigration?

A photocopy of the document that was translated which has been certified by an authorized person is known to be the certified photocopy of the original document. 

Another requirement is that the said photocopy must be readable. Finally, the person compares the documents and ticks their name, signature, position/title, name of the original document, certification date of the document in the photocopy.

It is the same set of individuals who are approved to proceed over an affidavit are also approved to certify photocopies. Also, the use of a stamp will help certified translators to provide certified photocopies quickly and easily.

If your application requires translation, make sure you met all the requirements, and also start your application on time to be able to have time to find a certified translator.

Since a member of my family speaks English or French, can they translate the document for me?

From all we have said, you should know that the answer is no. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) do not accept translations by family members even if your family member has a Ph.D. degree in English Literature, you still need to look for a certified translator to complete your translations.

Do I need a translation since it is just one page?

Unless indicated otherwise, the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) require translations for all supporting documents unless, and of course, we cannot ascertain if failure to include one page will make your application be rejected. Moreover, the immigration officer assigned to your file can let it slide, but with immigration applications, you are always advised to play safe or risk being sorry.

If you submit documents without a translation will cost you time and money.

Anytime the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) get an application that is supposed to be accompanied by a translation but is not, you will be asked to present it. In addition, you have to resubmit your application alongside the original documents and also, the corresponding certified translations.

Lastly, before you immigrate to Canada, these are the documents you need to translate and how to translate them, who to translate them, and in what language to translate them.

Leave a Comment