Comparative Evaluation For Studies Done Outside Quebec

The comparative evaluation compares and analyses the results of studies done in Quebec with other studies done outside Quebec.

It allows you to compare the results of different studies and identify their strengths and weaknesses. 

This is important because it helps you select the best approach for your dissertation or thesis.

Let us now dwell on comparative evaluation for studies done outside Quebec. 

A Brief Overview Of Studies Done Outside Quebec

Studies done outside Quebec are evaluated differently than studies done inside the province. For example, a master’s degree from McGill University in Montreal will be given an overall average of 4 out of 5 stars on Quacquarelli Symonds’ (QS) international ranking system.

A bachelor’s degree from Université de Montréal would only receive 2 out of 5 stars for its academic quality by QS and 3 out of 5 stars for its financial resources available to students through scholarships and bursaries offered by the university.

Two factors can explain these differences in evaluation: firstly, there is less competition between universities in Quebec than elsewhere around Canada; secondly, there is no national curriculum for most programs offered at Canadian universities, which makes it difficult for students to choose between schools that offer similar degrees but different curriculums or even cities within provinces themselves.

More grades or courses are required for higher study levels, and more information about your courses will be needed.

Course evaluation is a process that requires you to evaluate the course you have taken. To be accepted into higher levels of study, your studies must be evaluated in a specific manner.

You will need to prepare an evaluation report based on the university’s criteria and policy. For example, suppose your program requires three years of full-time study at a postsecondary institution before graduation (i.e., four years).

In that case, your course evaluations must reflect this requirement by providing evidence that all aspects of your thesis/dissertation were completed within those four years or earlier if possible, e.g., having already been submitted.

Read Also: How To Secure A Job In Canada As An Immigrant

How To Use Comparative Evaluation?

You can use comparative evaluation to transfer your studies to l’Université de Sherbrooke. Only students who have completed a minimum of 60 credits at another university may use this option.

If your studies have been completed at another university, you must submit a request to transfer your courses and credits. This request must be submitted by the end of April for fall admission or by the end of August for winter admission.

You can find more information on the transfer of credits here. If you are a student from Quebec, Canada, or France:

No one must submit a request to transfer your courses and credits. For more information on how this affects your admission, visit the website for international students here.

If you are a student from an institution outside Quebec, Canada, or France: You must submit a request to transfer your courses and credits. This request must be submitted by the end of April for fall admission or by the end of August for winter admission. You can find more information on the transfer of credits here.

What Is The Required Training In Comparative Evaluation For Studies Done Outside Quebec?

Comparative evaluation is a means of assessing your studies. It can be used to assess the level of education you have received and the number of credits earned by comparing them with those from other institutions.

To participate in the comparative evaluation, you should have completed an internship or graduated from an institution outside Quebec with a minimum of five years of experience.


The course evaluation process is based on three different study levels:

A. Level 1

The first level is the easiest to evaluate. This is because it requires only a few hours of work, and you can use the same method for all students. For example, if you wanted to evaluate students on their ability to write English sentences with numbers in them, then you could ask them questions like:

“What does 3+2=5?” or “What does 4+4=8?” until they had answered all the questions correctly.

In a professional tone, these exams are based on the following criteria:

  • Your general knowledge of the subject matter;
  • Your ability to apply yourself effectively and efficiently; and/or 3. The quality of your work overtime on this course or program (time management skills).

One must meet the following requirements to be eligible for this program: 

  • A Bachelor’s degree in engineering (from a recognized university) and at least two years of experience in the field of construction management; 
  • A Master’s degree in engineering from a recognized university and at least one year of experience in the field of construction management.

B. Level 2

The second level is harder than the first one because it requires more time on your part as well as more effort on your student’s part. However, if done correctly (which means that both parties are involved), this method will give better results than using only one method alone (such as an oral test).

Level 2 is studies completed during a Bachelor’s degree at l’Université de Sherbrooke before applying to a graduate program at l’Université de Sherbrooke.

These will be evaluated similarly to other students who have completed their Bachelor’s degree elsewhere and are currently enrolled in one of our programs.

The number of credits required to complete a Bachelor’s degree is 30, while the number of courses required to complete a Master’s degree is 45. The number of courses required to complete a Ph.D. or MD is 55.

C. Level 3

Studies completed after acceptance into a graduate program but before enrolment. Level 3 studies are not required, but they may be useful for students who have completed some level of postsecondary education and would like to pursue further studies. These include:

  • Bachelor’s degree at l’Université de Sherbrooke (CEGEP)
  • Master’s degree at l’Université de Sherbrooke (CEGEP). 

Levels 2 and 3 require an average score of 60% or higher, respectively; whereas for Level 1, only 50% is required.

How Do You Get Evaluated For Studies Done Outside Quebec? 

When you apply for admission to a program at the university, your studies will be evaluated in one of three categories:

  • Studies completed outside Quebec are evaluated differently than studies completed in Quebec.
  • The number of courses taken and the grades obtained is part of the evaluation process.
  • The number of courses taken and their overall quality is also considered when evaluating your application.

Evaluation Method For Studies Done Outside Quebec: UdeS

At UdeS, we have different evaluation methods for studies done outside Quebec. This is because the evaluation criteria differ from the program you are applying for and the level of study you are applying for.

For example, suppose you are applying to a bachelor’s degree program in business administration (BA). In that case, your program requirements will include a certain number of credits from each year of classes taken throughout your undergraduate career.

The total number of credits required is determined by taking into account all courses taken from starting university until graduation day.

They also consider any extra-curricular activities that may be mandatory for admission into an academic institution, such as sports teams or clubs.

What Are The Benefits Of Comparative Evaluation For Studies Done Outside Quebec?

There are many benefits to taking courses in your field of study. You can improve your resume, get a job more easily and travel and study abroad.

It’s important to note that Quebec does not offer equivalent English as a Second Language (ESL) or French as a Second Language (FSL) programs for non-native speakers. Suppose you want to teach English at a university level.

In that case, you must be fluent in English and French or have studied one semester at another institution while being proficient in both languages before coming back home.

However, some universities outside Quebec offer these kinds of programs; some even require proof of proficiency before admitting students into their classrooms.

What Are The Difficulties Of Comparative Evaluation For Studies Done Outside Quebec?

The difficulties of comparative evaluation for studies done outside Quebec include the following:

  • You have to find the courses you took and the grades you received.
  • You have to translate your documents into French.
  • You must fill out many forms, send them promptly, and find out what courses are required for your program.
  • You cannot start taking courses until you receive approval from UQAM (or another university).

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Is WES Recognized In Quebec?

WES is not required for Quebec.

2. How Do I Get A Degree Equivalency In Canada?

You must get your assessment from an organization or a professional body designated by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada.

3. What Is Comparative Evaluation?

The term comparative evaluation refers to research in which an evaluation and the findings of the evaluation process are set in a comparative framework. 

4. What Is Arrima?

Arrima is a free electronic system used to manage skilled worker applications in Quebec.

5. Do I Need ECA For Quebec?

You don’t need ECA for Quebec; instead, you need to certify from your University registrar to claim points towards Education requirements.

6. Does Canada Accept Degrees From Other Countries?

Newcomers to Canada must have their foreign licenses and certificates recognized to work in some Canadian jobs, and this is foreign credential recognition. 

7. Can I Get A WES Evaluation For Free?

Yes, they want to help you achieve your goals, and that’s why they offer free tools to help you succeed.

8. Who Is Eligible For Arrima?

The Quebec Arrima portal is for anyone 18 and over interested in coming to Quebec. 

9. What Is The Cost Of ECA Canada?

About CAN$200.

10. Can I Use The Same WES Evaluation For Us And Canada?

WES evaluations are recognized throughout the USA and Canada.


L’Université de Sherbrooke is a dynamic institution that offers many student opportunities. We hope this article has been helpful and informative regarding comparative evaluation for studies done outside of Quebec while also explaining some of the associated difficulties.

Leave a Comment