Just like every other foreigner, Canadian citizens are permitted to work in the United States although they are also required to obtain a United State
Just like every other foreigner, Canadian citizens are permitted to work in the United States although they are also required to obtain a United State work permit.
Practically, every non-American who wishes to work in the United States needs to have a work visa, but Canadians enjoy lots of advantages more than other foreigners.
Talking about work visas for Canadians, there are different types of visas specifically designated for Canadian citizens. These types of visas will be discussed below:
Which United States Work Visa Should I Apply For?
Are you contemplating the type of United States work visa you should apply for? You should consider speaking to a licensed immigration lawyer as there as several work permit visas for Canadian citizens.
For instance, a Canadian citizen who does a professional job, and received a valid job offer from a United State employer should apply for a TN visa. Below we will look into the types of work visas for Canadian citizens.
Can Canadian Citizens Work in the US/ US Work Visas for Canadians
This is only for Canadian and Mexican citizens, it was derived under the North American Free Trade Agreement. If you are a Canadian or Mexican citizen and you have a valid job offer from an American Employer, then you are eligible for a TN visa. However, this is the fastest process to obtain a United States work visa.
Requirement For TN Visa
- Employment letter specifying your job duties.
- Evidence that your position qualifies for the TN Visa and that it is in accordance with the NAFTA terms and conditions.
The H-1B visa is similar to the TN visa, but the difference here is that there are many benefits attached to this. Sincerely, the H-1B visa is very challenging to obtain.
This is because the application for this visa opens on April 1st of any year and there is a mad rush from people who are applying for the H-1B visa.
Must Read: Immigrant Visas To The US
Requirement for H1B Visa
The requirements for the H-1B visa are
- You will need to provide an education-related certificate, such as a bachelor’s degree or any advanced certificate.
- You have your Labor Condition Application (L.C.A) to the Department of Labor (D.O.L).
- Your H-1B Visa Petition can only be filed by your potential U.S. employer.
- You must provide your Resume / Curriculum Vitae
- A letter of the job offer from your potential employer.
L-1 visa is a type of work visa created for the transfer of employees who work in qualifying U.S. multinational companies that also have offices in the United States.
However, any Canadian citizen working for a company that has offices in the United State may qualify for an L-1 visa. But those who work in executive or managerial positions can also qualify for an L-1 visa.
On the other hand, if you are a Canadian citizen working for a Canadian company that has offices in the United State, you can still be transferred to the U.S. office under the L1 intracompany transfer visa.
Requirement For L-1 Visa
- Evidence of the employee’s relationship with the U.S. employer.
- A document proving that the position qualifies as an L-1 visa
- A work permit from the U.S. employer
The O-1 visa was created for those who have accomplished great successes in their field of practice, or even those who have shown an extraordinary ability in science, art, athletics, or even business.
So if you are a Canadian citizen and you have tremendous achievements in your field of practice, you might stand a chance to qualify for the O-1 visa. Importantly, if your achievements are internationally or nationally recognized, then you stand a better opportunity to obtain an O-1 visa.
Read Also: Can A US Citizen Work Remotely In Canada?
Requirement For O-1 Visa
- Evidence of your success or extraordinary ability in your profession
- Foreign certificates for professional degrees
- Letter of employment from you U.S. Employer
The E-1 visa is a business-oriented kind of visa. This is a type of visa designated for Canadian citizens who conduct bilateral business with United States citizens. Although this is not just for traders.
If you are into any saleable professional skill and interact mostly with US citizens, then you can qualify for the E-1 visa.
Requirement For E-1 Visas
To qualify for the E-1 Visa you need to meet the following criteria
- The trade must be strickle between the United States and Canada
- More than 50% of the total volume of the business must be between the U.S. and Canada
- The trade must be sufficient enough to sustain the business between the two countries.
- The income that comes from the trade must be sufficient enough to sustain the applicant and his/her family.
The E-2 visa is similar to the E-1 visa. It is also a business-oriented kind of visa that is issued to Canadian citizens who have business in the United States.
But the difference here is that while the E-1 visa is basically for traders; the E-2 visa is strictly for Canadians who run big businesses in the US or who have substantial investments in the United States.
If you belong to this category and wish to migrate to the US for the purpose of managing your business or even to work then you can apply for the E-2 visa.
Requirement For E-2 Visas
To qualify for the E-2 Visa you have to provide the following
- Evidence proving that a substantial investment is committed to the establishment
- The investment must be for an active business.
- At least 50 percent quota of the business must be owned by the Canadian citizen
- The investment must be well profiting to provide a living for more than the applicant.
How Much Money Do I Need to Invest for an E-2 Visa?
Well, there is no minimum amount of investment necessary to obtain an E-2 visa. It is just that the investment has to be substantial.
What this means is that the acceptable amount of the business will depend on some factors such as; the type of business, and the number of jobs the investor’s investment is able to create.
Now that you have a better understanding of how to obtain a United State work visa as a Canadian citizen. You can now access yourself to know if you meet any of the above criteria.
However, you can write to us in the comment section, if you have any further questions or probably you find something confusing.