Immigrant Visas To The US

It is imperative one knows how to apply for different types of immigrant visas for non-foreign tourists, students, business travelers, and future spouses.

Also, find out more about the Visa Waiver Program and how you can get a job in the United States as a foreign worker.

If you plan a short trip to the U.S. for business or tourism, you may need to apply for a visitor or travel visa.

Read also:

Step-by-step Instructions– Immigrant Visas

Confirm Your Visa.

Confirm if your country is participating in the U.S. Visa Waiver Program (V.W.P.)

Find Out What Visa You May Need During Your Temporary Stay.

Most business and tourism immigrants use B-1 and B-2 tourist visas.

  1. The B-1 visa section is for business travelers to consult with their business partners, attend a conference, arrange a venue, or negotiate a contract.
  2. B-2 visa arrangements for holiday and out-of-town guests, community events, or participating in emerging competitions.

Transport visas are rare.

The Transit C visa application is for foreign nationals passing through the U.S. they go abroad and stop short in the U.S. as part of their journey to the following outdoor area.

The C-1, D, and C-1 / D transport visas are for ship personnel or international flights to the U.S.

Apply For A Visa.

Applying for a visa differs based on the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Follow specific instructions concerning the country you reside.

Generally, you will need:

  1. Completing the online form DS-160, a visa application form
  2. Picture
  3. Visa application fee
  4. Planning interview

Tourist and Business Programs

Foreigners planning to visit the U.S. for business or entertainment can get a visa waiver.

To get a visa exemption, you must be a citizen of one of the 39 countries participating in the U.S. Visa Revocation Program. (V.W.P.).

Planning to visit the U.S. under V.W.P., you must obtain an authorized tourist permit before your trip. Authorization is determined using the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA).

Applying For An Esta And Obtaining A Visit Permit In The U.S.

It would be best if you had an e-Passport to use V.W.P. This type of passport is also called an electronic passport and has a chip embedded in it. Below are the steps to obtain one;

  1. Complete the (ESTA) online application. 
  2. ESTA measures the eligibility of a visitor to the U.S. under V.W.P.
  3. The fee for processing is $4.00, and if you are authorized, there is an additional authorization fee of $10.00. Learn how to pay for ESTA.
  4. You will receive an ESTA application number when you successfully finish your application. Use this number to verify the status of your application once it has been approved to go to the U.S.
  5. Visitors to the U.S. through tourism or business meetings or conferences under the V.W.P. may last 90 days without a visa.

K-1 or Fiancé (s) Visa

If you are engaged to be a U.S.citizen and plan to get married and live in the U.S., your husband (s) can apply for a K-1 visa. A K-1 visa allows you to travel to the United States to marry your fiancé (s) within 90 days of your arrival.

Supposed you get married, you can apply for a conditional amendment to get a Permanent (Green) Residence Card.

A K-1 visa expires after 90 days and cannot be extended. If you are not married at that time, you must leave the country or face divorce.

Student Training and Vocational Training Visas

Student Visa

A foreign student can apply for a student or exchange a visitor visa only after being accepted by a school accredited in the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (S.E.V.P.).

Student records are stored in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (S.E.V.I.S.). Learn more about S.E.V.P. and S.E.V.I.S., as well as S.E.V.I.S. payments.

Types of Student Visas

Your education, school plan, or exchange program will determine the type of student visa you will need.

Student visas are most common for F-1 and M-1 visas.

  1. F-1 visa application for a full-time international student pursuing academic studies.
  2. M-1 visa application for a full-time international student pursuing vocational training.
  3. The J-1 visa classification is called the exchange visitor program (E.V.P.). For foreigners who are authorized to participate in work-based or learning-based exchange programs like visiting scholars, camp counselors, or research assistants.

North American Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Expert Visa


Only Canadians and Mexican citizens are eligible for a professional North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) visa to work for a minimum of three years in the U.S.

How to Apply for Work Visa

After getting a feedback letter from your future employer confirming your offer, the application process varies for citizens of Canada and Mexico.

  • Citizens Of Canada

A NAFTA Professional visa is usually not required. Instead, you can go directly to the U.S. port of entry.

Customs and Border Protection (C.B.P.), and your interview documents to be accepted in the U.S. as a foreigner who can work in the U.S. legally

  • Citizens Of Mexican 

A NAFTA Professional visa is needed. Fill out the online visa application form DS-160, print a verification page, and submit it to your interview.

If you apply in Mexico, the image is not required for your application.

Finding a Job in the U.S. As an Outside Work

Based on your skills, circumstances, and the work you plan to do, you can come to the U.S. such as:

  • Temporary or permanent outside employee
  • Temporary business visitor

Under unique conditions, you may be able to work in the U.S if you are an international student.

Obtain a Work Visa

As a foreign worker, you will require a visa to get a job in the U.S. Each type of visa has different conditions and time frames.

Visit the (U.S.C.I.S.) Working on the U.S.Web Page to get an idea of ​​each category of work and type of visa.

Use the State Department visa to find out:

  1. The visa you need
  2. Application process
  3. Funds
  4. Limited waiting period for visa interview

Your Rights and Protection As A Temporary Employee

As a temporary foreign worker in the U.S., you will not be denied a visa or punished by the U.S. government. However, because you exercised your rights under U.S. law, learn your rights and protections.

If you violate the terms of your work visa, it may be revoked. In addition, you may be deported, detained, or barred from re-entering the U.SU.S.


  • In response to the COVID-19 epidemic, the State Department suspended visa bans for all U.S.U.S. embassies and officials in March 2020. However, the process of re-launching visa services began in February 2021.
  • The length of stay of J-1 visa holders depends on an agreement between you and your sponsoring organization approved by the State Department.

Leave a Comment