With an acceptance rate ranging from 3.6 to 3.9, Canadian students face a high rate of increase in the battle for admission to Canadian dental
With an acceptance rate ranging from 3.6 to 3.9, Canadian students face a high rate of increase in the battle for admission to Canadian dental schools.
As a result of this, there are many dental schools to choose from in the United States. However, like any other professional school, dental schools may limit the number of international students they can accept.
Most state-sponsored dental schools give priority to in-state students and do not accept international students from Canada.
This brings the question,” what are the Best Canadian Friendly US Dental Schools in Canada?
Best Canadian Friendly US Dental School
Irrespective of the fact that some medical professionals are limited in the United States and Canada, there is never any time when there is a shortage of applications.
Applicants from Canada and other International countries who are permanent residents of the US are usually considered US applicants.
Many medical schools also treat Canadian citizens as out-of-state candidates, and these schools are called “Canadian Friendly.”
Canadians must meet the same admissions requirements and standards as American foreign students to these medical schools.
List of Best Canadian US Dental Schools
This list contains an overview of all US dental schools that are friendly to Canada. International students are welcome at these institutions. It is, however, best suited for Canadian students.
1. New York Medical College
If you want to be considered for this college, you must meet the following requirements;
- Be a US citizen, have a permanent residence permit, or have Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) eligibility.
- Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree from an institution or university in the United States or Canada that is well accredited.
- International students with a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or university in the United States or Canada are also eligible to apply.
- All candidates must pass a medical school entrance test.
2. University of Detroit Mercy
You are allowed to apply to Detroit Mercy under the Early Action or Regular Admission plan. In addition, applicants for first-year students must also submit supporting documents, which include;
- High school transcript.
- A 250-word writing sample on a topic of your choice.
- Letter of recommendation.
- ACT or SAT scores
3. Boston University School of Medicine
All candidates that intend to apply to this university are subject to a flexible, thorough, and holistic screening by the admissions committee.
It focuses on each applicant’s unique abilities, experience, achievements, and potential to contribute to the learning community using information from the following;
- Academic performance.
- Research, service, clinical practice, teaching, and other experiences
- Throughout the program, you will find information about your personal history and background.
There are no minimum GPA requirements at Boston University School of Medicine. However, once AMCAS has notified them of your interest, you will receive a supplemental application from the Office of Admissions.
4. Nova Southeastern University
Applicants must need the following to be able to meet admission requirements;
- High School GPA
- High School Rank
- High school transcript
- Preparatory courses for college
In order to get accepted to this school, applicants must have exceptional and outstanding grades.
5. Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
Applicants must have completed studies leading to a bachelor’s degree at an accredited US or Canadian college. Application Requirements include;
- Prerequisites must be completed before matriculation.
- Passed the MCAT exam.
- They do not require the CASPER test or any of the Altus Suite components.
6. Temple University
Applicants are expected to have the following documents ready to complete their application.
- Official high school or university transcripts with English translations
- Test options.
- English language proficiency test results.
- Letters of recommendation
7. Howard University College of Medicine
If you are interested in schooling at the Howard University, the following requirements must be met;
- Medical students must earn 71 semester hours or the equivalent at an accredited college or university in the US or Canada.
- The MCAT test score is demanded of all applicants and can be taken at any time but no later than January of the year you are applying for admission.
- All interested applicants must use the American Medical College Application Service to the College of Medicine.
- Students matriculating and graduating from the university or College of Medicine must meet the technical requirements of the academic program and must not pose a threat to the welfare of patients.
- All interested candidates to the College of Medicine must take an online assessment to assist with their selection process.
- Applicants should meet GPA and MCAT scores.
8. Marquette University
Interested candidates will need the following documents to meet the entry criteria;
- Test results
- High School GPA
- High school class rank
- Completion of a college preparatory program
9. Midwestern University
Applicants interested in attending the university must provide the following documentation:
- Completion of courses necessary for admission.
- Before admission, you must have completed a bachelor’s degree from a regionally approved institution.
- Medical School Admissions Test (MCAT) scores that are competitive.
- Two letters of recommendation are required.
- In addition, students should have a minimum cumulative GPA and a science GPA greater than 3.00 on a 4.00 scale.
10. Touro College of Dental Medicine
In addition to the bachelor’s degree, their entry requirements include the following;
- Bachelor’s Degree (BA/BS)
- Dental Admission Test (DAT)
- Letters of evaluation
- Letter of evaluation of school graduates.
11. University of Minnesota
Admissions selection is made after thoroughly examining each student’s academic performance. It is important to know that no one aspect determines the outcome. The following academic variables are put into consideration;
- Courses up to high school graduation
- Grades of academic work.
- GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- ACT or SAT scores. This is optional
- Score an English proficiency test
- Applicant’s academic interests.
12. University of Southern California
This school provides Doctor of Dental Surgery students with comprehensive clinical training and thorough training in the latest techniques in advanced oral care. Below are the requirements for applicants;
- A university must accredit prerequisite courses in the United States or Canada.
- Before you apply, you must have finished or begun to complete a minimum of 60-semester units with a grade of c or better.
- Two letters of recommendation in biology, chemistry, or physics from science professors in the lectures.
- Recommendation of the dentist in one letter.
13. University of the Pacific
To get accepted into this school, you must meet the following criteria;
- Pre-Dental College Years. Three years is the general minimum (90 semesters or 135 quarter units)
- Community College Work Limitations which will be accepted if they can be transferred to a four-year college as similar pre-dental
- Applicants must complete either two semesters of organic chemistry or one semester of organic chemistry and biochemistry.
- A course in composition is required. Additional courses should help students improve their writing and vocal communication skills.
- 2 letters from science professors and 1 letter from a person of your choice e.g., dentist, researcher, or supervisor
- 40 hours of dental shadowing required (minimum hours must be general dentistry).
- Your overall and academic GPAs, as well as the institutions you attended and the complexity of your coursework, are evaluated individually.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do Us Dental Schools Accept Canadian Students?
As an international student, you are eligible to apply to most dental schools in the United States and Canada.
Although some requirements must be met as an international student, you still have a chance of getting accepted.
Is it harder to get into dental or medical school in Canada?
The both schools are very competitive to get into. However, in terms of acceptance rates, getting into medical school is harder than dental school.
There are more medical schools than dental schools, but far more applicants apply to medical schools than to dental schools.
In Which Country Is It Easiest To Become A Dentist?
Starting dentistry in the UAE is most likely the easiest way for dental technicians. You are free to start practicing as early as two months after passing the relevant licensing exams.
Is It Harder To Become A Dentist Than A Doctor?
Medical and dental schools have the same difficulty in terms of courses and majors. The dental school offers hands-on courses much earlier in schooling. On the other hand, the Faculty of Medicine only offers classroom instruction during the first 2 years.
Is There A Shortage Of Dentists In Canada?
There is no shortage of dentists in Canada, and the access to care and the urban-rural divide in the availability of dental treatment are growing concerns.
Is Being A Dentist Worth It Financially?
Dental doctors and those who own their own clinics tend to make more money than others. In dentistry, the highest earners include orthodontists, maxillofacial, and oral surgeons. Prosthetics are also very well paid, earning over $200,000 a year.
Is Dentistry A Good Career In Canada?
Dentists are in high demand in Canada. According to the Canadian Dental Association, there are currently 135,000 dentists in Canada, and is expected to grow by 10% in the next five years.
What Is The Most Challenging Thing About Being A Dentist?
Stress-induced burnout is one of the major problems in the dental industry. Therefore, learning to minimize and manage stress is very important for future dentists. Maintaining a healthy work-life balance is not always easy, but it pays off in the long run.
What Problems Do Most Dentists Face Today?
Dentists face the problem of tooth decay. The severity of the oral disease can even lead to fatal oral cancer.
To an extent, an unhealthy diet containing a high concentration of sugar and an intake of alcohol and tobacco can have a major impact on the deterioration of oral health.
What Type Of Person Is Best Suited To Be A Dentist?
One who is honest and filled with compassion is best to be a dentist. He must not allow personal problems to be a problem for him.
Also, a good dentist must have strong communication skills, one of the most important skills a dentist can have.
There you have it. We have defined Canada-friendly schools in a few different ways. If you are interested in a US dental college, do well to go through this article, as we have also included the requirements for each of the schools.
Please tell us what you think in the comment section below, and don’t forget to drop your questions if you have any.