Canada TOEFL Requirements – Updated

The TOEFL is required for certain immigration programs, student visa applications, and admission to Canadian designated learning institutions (DLI).

DLIs are colleges, universities, and other educational institutions that have been authorized by the Canadian government to accept international students.

The official languages of Canada are English and French. English is the most widely spoken language in the majority of provinces and territories.

French is the dominant language in Quebec, as well as in parts of Ontario, New Brunswick, and Manitoba. There are also francophone communities in all of Canada’s provinces and territories. English is spoken by a sizable minority of Quebec residents.

The Significance of Language Abilities

Language skills in English or French open the door to your education and immigration plans. They are critical in assisting you to settle in Canada.

You can choose to focus on either learning or improving. This will most likely be determined by which of the two languages the majority of people in your area speak.

TOEFL requirements in Canada are primarily for people wishing to relocate to English-speaking provinces.

Strong English or French language skills will be useful for:

  • obtaining employment
  • going to school and obtaining services
  • assisting your children with their schoolwork meeting and conversing with others obtaining your Canadian citizenship
  • Improve your French or English while still in your home country and as soon as you arrive in Canada.

Consider learning the other official language if you already speak one. In Canada, knowing both languages is advantageous for finding work and participating in your community.

The Language Portal of Canada provides several tools and resources to help you improve your language skills.

Read also:

TOEFL requirements in Canada – International Students

TOEFL is the most widely used English language proficiency test for international students.

The TOEFL test is preferred by more than 80% of graduate programs in Canada over other English-language tests. TOEFL is recognized by all Canadian universities and colleges. TOEFL scores are available in 6 days.

TOEFL iBT (“Internet-based Test”) is typically available in more than 150 countries. However, the pandemic restricts the test’s location and availability.

New test dates will be made available in more places around the world. Except for mainland China and Iran, ETS is temporarily offering the TOEFL Special Home Edition iBT in countries where it conducts tests. The results are available in 6-10 days.

TOEFL Substitutes for International Students

Other options are available to international students. Individual institutions, such as the University of Toronto and McGill University, offer their tests.

Paragon Testing Enterprises’ Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) test is used at over 180 universities and colleges across Canada. This includes all English-language universities and 82% of English-language colleges.

Cambridge Assessment C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency Exams Another popular test is English. It is used in over 200 schools.

Another option is the Duolingo English Test. It is accepted by nearly 140 Canadian post-secondary institutions. The Duolingo test takes about an hour and the results are available in two days. The exam is available online.

The IELTS Academic test is administered by three partners: IDP Education, the British Council, and Cambridge Assessment English.

The test is accepted by up to 400 Canadian universities and colleges. It is currently available in over 30 countries, but it is typically available in over 140 countries.

They temporarily added IELTS Indicator to help students complete their tests online in response to the coronavirus pandemic. The IELTS Indicator is accessible from the candidate’s home computer.

TOEFL requirements in Canada – General immigration

The IELTS and CELPIP are the preferred English language tests for general immigration purposes (e.g., Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP)).

TOEFL tests, on the other hand, may help you improve your language skills and score well on these other tests. International students, for example, obtained the required TOEFL score for a student visa and school admission.

They then apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit and Canadian permanent resident status.

However, for their PR application, they must take another language test. The IELTS General and the CELPIP are the two English tests accepted by IRCC.
Their initial TOEFL tests, however, give them an advantage. It provides them with even greater proficiency when taking the IELTS or CELPIP.

Language skills for work

Your English or French language skills may not be strong enough to allow you to work in your field.

The majority of regulated jobs and trades require you to:

  • be fluent in both English and French
  • have a thorough understanding of all work-related language, as well as phrases or expressions that may be unique to Canada
  • Learn about the language requirements for working in your field.

 Also, contact your regulatory body to find out what type of language test will be used to evaluate or assess you.

Consider taking language classes or looking for bridging programs that provide language training as well as work experience.

Language lessons

Once in Canada, you can enroll in language classes to learn English or French. Language classes are funded by federal, provincial, and territorial governments across Canada. You will, however, have to pay for private language classes.

To learn more about other language training programs funded by provinces or territories, visit:

  • Inquire with a local organization that assists newcomers.
  • visit the website for newcomers in your province or territory

Before registering, assess your current language skills.

Before beginning a class, you should assess your current language skills. Inform a language assessment center in your city that you wish to take language classes.

Before taking a formal language test, you can conduct a self-assessment test to determine your current language level. Also, see Language Training in Canada.

Other English language tests and certificates besides the TOEFL

  • Canadian English Language Proficiency Index 

Program (CELPIP)

  •  International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 

French language tests and certificates:

  • French language assessment test (TEF)
  • French language studies diploma (DELF)

How to Determine Your TOEFL Cutoff Score for Studying in Canada

The steps below will assist you in determining your TOEFL cutoff score for studying in Canada:

#1: Make a Table

Your table should include headings, as well as a column for Desired Universities and another for TOEFL Cutoff Score for the corresponding Canadian universities.

#2: Finish Your Table

List all of your desired TOEFL-accepting Canadian universities, along with their corresponding Canada TOEFL requirements (cutoff score).

The English Language requirements section contains this cutoff score. Sectional TOEFL cutoff scores for specific programs are typically available on the university’s website or in the International Students Requirements.

#3: Examine the Highest TOEFL Scores

Examine your list for the highest TOEFL scores, and then set that score as your target TOEFL score. With this, once you’ve obtained that TOEFL score, nothing is stopping you from applying to all of the universities listed in Canada.


The TOEFL test, a widely recognized English proficiency exam, is accepted by over 400 universities and colleges in Canada.

Many of these institutions set their scoring requirements in some cases, such as post-secondary education.

As a result, it is critical to check with your preferred university to determine which English language scores they require.

Leave a Comment