Regulated Occupations In Canada

Regulated Occupations are those jobs that must be certified by a provincial regulatory body.

They are jobs that demand thorough proof beyond reasonable doubt that you are capable of all it takes to carry out your duties due to their sensitive role in society.

Each province has its unique requirements, and on proving yourself capable of carrying out the job, they will hand you a certificate that will be demanded anytime you apply for those kinds of jobs.

Regulated jobs primarily serve the public, meaning bad service would directly affect people’s lives in that province.

Examples of regulated occupations in Canada include Engineering, Accounting, Law, and, obviously, Healthcare.

Criteria To Become Regulated In An Occupation.

Applicants must complete federal and provincial processes to become regulated and deemed efficient in a regulated occupation. 

As much as the process of becoming regulated in Canada varies with different provinces, there are a few mentions below:

  • Most regulatory bodies require an Education Credential Assessment (ECA) report that shows the Canadian equivalence of your foreign credentials.
  • Some standard bodies may demand proof of your work experience in the industry and language proficiency.
  • Some occupations require that foreign-trained workers undergo an examination to demonstrate their knowledge in the field.
Read also:  Jasper Skytram: All You Need to Know About the Gondola

Provincial Bodies That Regulate Occupations In Canada

Different provincial bodies regulate occupations in Canada. The location of these bodies is in other provinces across Canada.

They have unique requirements and criteria that you must meet. Some of these bodies include:

Alberta – Foreign Qualifications Recognition

Foreign Qualification Recognition (FQR) verifies that the education, skills, and experience obtained in another country meet the licensure standards for safe and competent practice in Canada.

Many occupations in Alberta are regulated, so you need to be licensed by a provincial Professional Regulatory Organization (PRO) to work in that occupation. Other standard terms that mean the same thing as regulated are ‘certified’ and ‘registered’.

PROs assess if you have the necessary qualifications to meet the licensure requirements to work in Alberta. These include:

  1. Education
  2. Work experience
  3. Proficiency in English

Your PRO will inform you if there are gaps that you need to address or examinations you need to take before you can be licensed.

British Columbia – Foreign Credentials Recognition

A regulatory body governs many occupations. Therefore, you must check with your B.C. regulator to ensure you have the proper credentials to work in our province, regardless of where you trained.

Manitoba – Regulated Occupations and Trades

In Manitoba, as in all provinces of Canada, there are legislated regulatory bodies responsible for establishing the entry requirements for the occupations under their mandate, recognizing education, training, and experience, and issuing licenses required to work.

The qualification recognition (Q.R.) process varies for each profession and trade. While you can complete some steps in the Q.R. process outside Manitoba/Canada, you can also complete them in Canada. When you apply to a regulatory body, you must meet specific criteria.

The QR process leading to professional registration (licensure or certification) can be complex.

It requires a commitment of time, effort, and money. However, being well informed will help you plan your career path in Manitoba.

New Brunswick – Foreign Qualifications Recognition and Regulated Occupations

New Brunswick regulates several occupations. Therefore, it would be best if you were certified or licensed by a regulatory authority for that occupation to work in a regulated occupation.

The first procedure in becoming certified or licensed in New Brunswick is to obtain equivalency for the foreign qualifications you have earned outside of Canada.

Next, they will evaluate your academic credentials and work experience to determine how your credentials and experience compare to Canadian-trained professionals.

They may call your occupation something different in New Brunswick. For example, it may require additional qualifications to practice safely and meet the certification or licensing requirements established by the regulatory authority.

The Working in New Brunswick Tool can help you find your occupation’s name, description, and qualifications needed for certification or licensure.

Read also: How Can I Get Points For A Job Offer Under Express Entry?

Nova Scotia – International Qualifications Recognition

Nova Scotia operates provincially and nationally to support recognizing the knowledge and education of trained people outside Canada.

The Pan-Canadian Framework, also referred to as the national framework for the Assessment and Recognition of Foreign Qualifications, directs the work.

The framework is the responsibility of the Nova Scotia Department of Labor and Development Education (Recognition of Pre-Study Unit and Employee Movement Unit) and the Nova Scotia Immigration Office.

The two departments are working together to support the regulatory efforts in the province. Their job is to ensure that our labor market is fair and competitive.

As a result, immigrants can use their education, skills, and work experience to benefit themselves and contribute to the province’s prosperity.

Nunavut – Regulated Occupations

The government makes the rules and laws for over 100 professions and trades in the province of Ontario. As a result, it helps protect the health and safety of workers and the public.

We can help you get the qualifications you need to practice your profession or trade in Ontario through:

  1. Health Force Ontario
  2. Ontario Bridge Training Program
  3. Trade equivalency assessment
  4. Global Experience Ontario

Quebec – Regulated Occupations And Immigration

Recognition of your skills ensures that the training and work experience gained abroad will enable you to work in Québec.

Depending on the job you want to do, They can recognize your skills in three ways:

  • With a regulatory body, if Québec controls your work or trade.
  • By a Quebec employer
  • Through the teaching center, if you wish to return to school

It is best to start this process before you arrive in Québec and as soon as you receive one of the following documents:

  1. Du Québec Selection Certificate (CSQ – Québec Selection Certificate)
  2. Québec Admission Certificate (CAQ)
  3. Work permit

Regulated occupations account for just 20% of the total occupation in Canada.

The other 80% makes the:

Non-Regulated Occupations

You do not require any form of licensing or certification to start working. You can create a job as soon as you arrive in Canada. Tech and I.T. occupations are one example of non-regulated occupations in Canada.

Skilled Trades

Traders also require licensing or certification to practice in their trade in Canada. But, again, provincial authorities regulate the licensing or certification in Canada.

Leave a Comment